Saturday, February 13, 2010

It's on like Diddy Kong

So today is the first day of the 20 pound challenge between my brother and myself. The first one to lose 20 wins movie tickets, or some other prize to be determined.

So let's crunch some numbers. Initially, my goal was to reach 185 and 11 percent body fat. I guessed I would have to lose about 20 pounds of fat to do that. However, my calculations were a bit off. Actually, as long as I get to 185 or 11 percent, I will be happy with either.

But that's not my goal, and that doesn't work for the challenge. Currently, I weigh a little under 205 and my body fat is hovering a little under 22 percent. That means I'm carrying about 45 pounds of fat. Yuck. If I lose 20 pounds of fat, I will weigh 185, however that means my body fat percentage will be about 13.5. Which would be great, but still short of my goal.

So, to actually reach my intended goal of 185 of 11 percent, I will have to lose about 25 pounds of body fat and gain 5 pounds of muscle. In four months. I can do it.

First though, I'll concentrate on losing 20 pounds. I have a secret weapon too. I haven't cut my hair in about 4 months, so I'm pretty sure I have about five pounds of hair. Boom. Six bucks and it's gone. Fifteen pounds to go.

Well, maybe not.

In related news, it was sunny and relatively warm today, although still about five degrees below average, so I got in a nice twenty mile bike ride. Thanks City of Chicago for plowing the lakefront path! Maybe I won't be such a wuss this coming week and brave the sub 20 degree weather in the morning and ride to work.

Or, maybe not.


Weight: 204.8
BFP: 22.0
Activity- 20 mile ride, weights.

4 comments:

  1. Like Diddy Kong indeed. I'm only going to be weighing myself once a week. But I'll be keeping close tabs on you. That's right, I'm watching you. Sorry it's so flippin' cold there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for both of you! I've got about 20 to lose too. :( Maybe I'll go run with the kids at the beach tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but only if you stop bragging about running at the beach

    ReplyDelete